Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Ramblings

The sturm und drang of politics that has been driving me nuts can only be superseded by bureaucratic paperwork (one of my favorite things -- not!) and I just spent this morning dealing with that. What part of I'm old, I'm poor and nothing changes in Kay's world don't these people understand?
I'm waiting for a call back as I type here. Another call came in and I've some other things to consider which in turn gave me a mental hot foot that I need to make up my mind and do some exploration of some things that I've been considering but that has to be on hold until the weather breaks.

I've been waiting for Sarah Palin to self-destruct and I think it's finally happening. Her behavior in the aftermath of the Tuscon tragedy is an embarrassment even to the Tea Party. The word from my favorite Alaskan blogger is that the denouement will be coming in a month or so and that it's a mind bender. Trust me in that when I know, y'all will know.

A quote from Julius Caesar that I memorized as a high school sophomore (Remember when kids had to memorize stuff?) sprung to mind yesterday as I was reading my blogs the past week and seeing so many people asking 'why?': "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings." -- Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141). I think we have to look at ourselves and the people we have elected to lead us either by intent or by neglect. (And yeah, I can still recite most of Marc Antony's funeral oration and The Gettysburg Address -- but I can't remember what I did last week. Sigh.)

I went out on Sunday and spent money. The good news is that I had it. I avoid the Evil Empire (Wal-Mart) like the plague but there are a few things that I can't get other places so I had to go there. I also went to the fancy grocery store out near the mall district for a change -- it's my regular locally owned grocer but it's near an affluent suburb and carries things that my close store doesn't and I picked up some things I like and can't usually get. I also finally went to the crafts/art supply store. Parapluie is a wonderful artist and has been encouraging me to try to do some drawing and/or painting so I finally went and got some materials. Who knows? I might do something that I like well enough to share but not until I finish getting caught up on some housework.

Y'all know I'm a movie buff and an avid Netflix aficionado. Y'all also know that I only write about films that I really like and deem worthy -- otherwise Netflix would have to put me on payroll. I'm not big on war movies but the other night I watched "Glory" starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman. It's based on the true story of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry which was one of the first units composed of African Americans in the Civil War. It was a beautiful film and a beautiful story that touched me because so little attention to the role of African American participation in that war. Here's the trailer:



Well, I'm about rambled out for today so I'll just close and say:

Hope y'all are having a great day!!!!!

Kay

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:22 PM

    Too bad about the over abundance of paperwork and bureaucracy for you! Hopefully, that, too, will pass. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting 'Glory' in my Net Flix queue right now. Thanks for the reminder.

    I just watched Jack Nicholson in "Somethings Gotta' Give". After all the craziness of the past week, it was just what I needed. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime back, I had seen Glory and also liked it a lot.

    That is neat on the art supplies. You never know what kind of voice you will have with art until you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Glory, too and loved it! It's an incredible movie.

    I hope all your paperwork, etc. gets done.

    I do wish Sarah Palin would do what Barbara Bush suggested. Really. Go back to Alaska and be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in their Kay.

    10-4 Willy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like shopping at the evil empire here . I get to meet all the folks in our little town that would be on welfare if it wasn't for a job with WalMart, McDonalds, Tim Hortons,Starbucks and Canadian Tire

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.