Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Kay's Wonderful World of Weird Words #7

I'm far and away overdue to do this post as I have a serious backlog of weird words to share with y'all. I am going to try very hard to make this a monthly feature. If I don't y'all, can rag on me for breaking a New Year's resolution and won't that be fun?

alienist: n., psychiatrist. This kind of makes sense. It comes from the French word, aliene, which means 'insane'. Therefore an alienist is a doctor who treats the insane. It's sort of a tossup as to which sounds better: "I have to see my alienist." or "I have to see my psychiatrist." Either way, people will think you're nuts.

elozable: adj., amenable to flattery. I like this word. We are all elozable. It's only human and helps keep us away from the alienist.

frigorific (frig-uh-RIFF-ik): adj.; causing cold. chilling. From the Latin word "frigus", this is a perfect January word. It sounds vaguely obscene and illustrates what I think of winter. On a cold day, you can stick your head out the door and say, "Good Lord, honey, it's freakin' frigorific out here!"

scapegrace (SKAYP-grayss): n.; an incorrigible rascal. My question is this: have you ever known a rascal who wasn't incorrigible? However, I do like this word a lot. Given my circle of acquaintance, I can make good use of this word.

bifurcate (BYE-fer-kayt): v.; to divide or cause to divide into two branches or parts. The illusionist seemingly bifurcated the lady in the box. Sounds a lot nicer than "sawed her in half", doesn't it?

Hope I increased your vocabulary and gave y'all a giggle or two!!!!!!

Happy Blogging!!!!!!!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm.....maybe that's where "frigging" came from? It means cold? LOL

    Mr. kenju is elozable, and he is a scapegrace!!

    I probably need the alienist and I'm frigid, so......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this! Great idea for a monthly post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a scapegrace once that required my seeing an alienist. Love those words!

    Check out my friend Jessica's blog (http://thecurranicles.blogspot.com). She's from Ohio, an OSU alum, and a major Buckeyes fan ... and she's now living in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your use of the word frigorific! I'll wait for a cold day in Miami to use that one. :)

    The Alienist...sounds like a good name for a horror movie about a psychiatrist who is out his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! Alienist makes me think of a psychiatrist emerging from someone's chest!

    Okay, I'm posting this link on my "ILYB" today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned some new words today.
    Thanks.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good words; I especially like frigorific. Rhymes with terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Good Lord, honey, it's freakin' frigorific out here!"......hahahah

    Here right now its "here comes more freakin frigorific snow"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Alienist ?

    No wonder very few recognise my blog's name ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. I knew a couple of the words but I will make sure scapegrace enters my day to day vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:37 PM

    I too love frigorific. Although, it is difficult to use the word here for Southern California weather. I am usually complaining about the heat. Is there a antonym for frigorific?

    ReplyDelete
  12. There actually is a historical thriller novel out there called "The Alienist." It's by Caleb Carr, and was on the bestseller list for a long time back around 1994. That one, and his sequel "The Angel of Darkness" are pretty read-worthy.

    Good list, and Happy Blogversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:40 AM

    Good post. You've increased my vocabulary, but could you increase my capacity to remember them while you're at it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Granny Annie sent me and I'm really glad! I love this idea, and who knows..some of your words may find themselves on my Scrabble board!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.