Saturday, February 12, 2011
Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Today marks the 202nd anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, the sixteenth president of the United States. He was a Republican and frankly, I think he's weeping in Heaven at what his party has become. I also think that he is proud of Barack Obama.
It is said by many credible former residents that his ghost visits the White House and I wonder if he's stopped by to visit Obama. Of course, we won't know that until Obama writes his memoirs because if he said he did, the Reckless Right would go crazy (crazier?). So I went to my database of quotes this morning and found a few quotes that are pertinent for our times to honor his memory. I hope y'all enjoy them.
On his success:
* I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down.
* If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my ax.
* I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
* The time comes upon every public man when it is best for him to keep his lips closed.
* The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.
* These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people.
* God must love the common man, he made so many of them.
My! How things have changed:
* Republicans are for both the man and the dollar, but in case of conflict the man before the dollar.
* Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.
And last but certainly not least . . .
* America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hope y'all are having a great day!!!!