I leave notes to myself about things that I want to write about in the 'drafts' section of my blog sometimes it's a paragraph -- sometimes it just a few words and a date. I go to that section when I am blocked and need to jump start my poor damaged brain. Today is such a day.
I collect quotes as I written here before. In fact, I have a whole database of them on a wide spectrum of topics. With the opening of the new session of Congress, here are some that might help President Obama and Our Congress Critters.
* Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt.
* The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion. -- George Washington
* Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country. -- H.L. Mencken
* There's never been a law yet that didn't have a ridiculous consequence in some unusual situation; there's probably never been a government program that didn't accidentally benefit someone it wasn't intended to. Most people who work in government understand that what you do about it is fix the problem -- you don't just attack the whole government. -- Molly Ivins
* However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. -- Winston Churchill
* Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times. -- David Ben Gurion
And last but certainly not least, two quotes from to of my favorite authors that we should all keep in mind and act upon as needed:
* Each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak. And it is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catchphrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let man label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country- hold up your head! You have nothing to be ashamed of. -- Mark Twain
*Idiot: A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line. -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
I wish I could send these to every single member of the House and Senate to remind them who their bosses really are.
I hope y'all are having a great day!!!!!!