Friday, August 11, 2006

By Any Other Name . . .

The Elderbloggers strike again! Chris Pirillo (http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/08/08/elders-vs-seniors/) has taken on our fearless leader, Ronni Bennett who raised a call to arms at Time Goes By re: elder vs. senior to describe those of us of a certain age. The response was great & I must say we Elderbloggers have held our own. I was nice seeing us respond so thoughtfully.

I thought it interesting that one person replied defined an Elderblogger replied as a person who writes about issues of the elderlies. WRONG! I take issue with that. I only occasionally write about aging issues. My good friends in the Blogosphere: Always Question, Joy of Six, PlayItSam, Golden Lucy & most of the others listed in my links, here write about a broad spectrum of things – politics, poetry, our lives, our passions, & a host of other topics. That we’ve aged is not the focus of our lives. If anything, aging is what happened to us when we weren’t paying attention. I can’t wait to see what these arrogant younguns do when they get that rude awakening. And yeah, I intend to /be around to see it so I can say, “I told you so!"

As I said on Chris’ blog, I don’t really care what I’m called – senior or elder. What I DO care about is that I, & the rest of my generation, receive the respect, recognition, rights, & care that we deserve. Shakespeare said it best, “What’s in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” So it is with we elders -- or what ever you call us -- our wisdom & experience & value is the same whatever you call us. I may not be the girl I once was but I like the woman I am now much better.

Happy Blogging!!! Kay


Copyright 2006 Kay Dennison

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.