Sunday, April 21, 2013

Saturday Night at the Movies

I gave myself a treat last night and went to the movies. I forgot that going on Saturday night which meant that they jack up the prices on Saturday night so it cost damn near $20 -- and another $5 for popcorn and pop. You can bet they won't be seeing me on a Saturday night ahain for a longgggggg time.

The first film I saw was "Olympus Has Fallen" -- an action adventure with Morgan Freeman and Gerard Butler -- good stuff, right? It was too noisy and violent for me. I swear these movies were designed for people with severe behavior/attention disorders. AND I won't even talk about the previews -- I swear they go on forever, are wayyyy too loud, and could cause seizures with the weird special effects.

The second feature was 42 (the real reason I went the movies) - the story of Jackie Robinson's (Chadwick Boseman) ordeal as the first black player in the Majors. Harrison Ford (looking really old) co-starred as Branch Rickey -- the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers who gave Robinson a contract despite advice to the contrary.

Here's the trailer . . .



Happy Blogging!!!!!

Kay

11 comments:

  1. I have thought of seeing both of those movies. Did you like 42?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize with you on the cost of going to the movies. We haven't since the Return of the King came out. We discovered that we can buy the movies we want to see for less than the cost of tickets alone (we don't buy popcorn and pop). Then we can watch the movies again (and again and again--if we really like them). The only movie trailer we have seen lately that we want to see is The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. We are waiting for the extended version to come out somewhere around Christmas. We are totally bummed out by the practice of issuing the theatrical release version and then the extended or director's cut. Got suckered that way with the Lord of the Rings. I have had no desire to see either 42 or Olympus Has Fallen. Don't care much for most historical films, biographical films and am not too fond of the action genre unless the story line matchers the special effects. All too often the special effects drive the film not the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite things was going to the movies, but we no longer go. It's just too loud, not too mention, too expensive. I wish they would lower the volume to that I could once again enjoy sitting in the theater in front of that big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will wait till 42 is out on DVD Jackie Robinson is on my Heros list.That list is very short I will say.
    Good grief Harrison Ford is 70 where has the time gone,eh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I go rarely to our multitheater movie house. It is so loud you can hear the other films as well. Most of them are aimed at the young male viewer. I do go to a small theater in a small town about 30 miles from here that shows things like "Amour" for $7, as well as presenting live theater at other times. Other than that its rental and Net flix for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the movie that will get me back into a theater. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate those previews that go on and on. As if I would watch any of those lousy movies anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, wait for the DVD's. Hope you enjoyed 42.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Kay--IF I have my phone with me, I have earplugs. Even 30-40 years ago I wore earplugs in movies. The last movie I saw in a theater was, as far as I recall, "Sixth Sense" to which Hunky Husband dragged me (his second viewing!)

    Lucy--I do recall demanding my money back (in the 1970s) when "Lord of the Rings" was too loud, even with earplugs. I left just a few minutes into the movie. Got my money back, too.

    GFB--Oh, to be 70, again! *laughing*

    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you going in prime time. We saw OZ...poo. We saw the new tom cruise...which was beautiful but not what we were looking for. No 42 yet as the lines were too long. I think they did a lot of makeup on Mr. Ford.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering about 42. I do want to see it, but I think I'll wait for the DVD. I agree with everything you said about the movie experience.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.