Saturday, October 15, 2011

A New Adventure

I've been a very busy girl!!!! Doctor appointments and lab visits have claimed my time as well as all sorts of daily type stuff that seems to be slow going, to put it mildly. My Wonder Woman mode hasn't licked in which I suspect is connected to the ER trip in Toledo. It really has slowed me down and thus, blogging has been neglected. I can't decide which variety of sin that constitutes but I'm not going to fret about it. Hopefully, I'll get my mojo back soon.

When y'all read this, I'll probably be at Occupy Canton with my very own "We Are the 99%" sign. I spoke with the bright young man who organized it and he was most insistent that I attend and wants me to get involved. From what he told me, he's doing a great job and doesn't really need my help. Still, I've been around a while and know people and bring a lot of practical experience to the table. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out. That we are rallying says a great deal about the impact that Occupy Wall Street movement has had on everyone -- even out here in flyover country. We aren't radical here. Other than the occasional strike, we don't get militant very often.

I'm taking my camera and promise to behave myself -- mostly because I can't afford bail and won't risk having to ask for help. LOL Somehow I can't help but think of Peter Finch in the 1976 film, Network. Here's his speech -- it really resonates for me in these chaotic times and I hope it does with y'all, too!

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's work, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad."

And here's a great video from Occupy L.A. -- where else?



Happy Blogging!!!!!!!

Kay

11 comments:

  1. Be careful at that rally Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Peter Finch speech :)
    Looking forward to what happened on your adventure, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Kay--I'm anxiously awaiting the report on how our "bad girl" did. You are a marvel!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was an Occupy Raleigh protest here on Saturday, and of course, I was working and couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy yourself or should I say, be careful. I know you'll do yourself proud. I wait to hear...

    Have a wonderful week.

    Oh...love the Peter Finch speech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be careful there! I don't know but in malaysia the police crack down pretty hard at any illegle rally (even the non violent ones) with tear gas and then just deny it in the papers. But i'm so glad you're going! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quietly urging folks to take part if the "Bank Transfer Day." :)

    You sound in far better shape than I dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We older people have got to get out with the young ones. It's our duty. No excuses. Grab your oxygen tank and go, if that's what you have to do. And we have to participate in the lives of our community, not hide in our houses watching TV.
    Remember the 60's and what it meant and how it changed things. Don't you want to be part of the great changes taking place? What are you saving it for?
    People in the middle years can't do much because they have to work and take care of families, but we can be there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Occupy Canton! Who would have thought! You go girl...seems you're getting needed juice from having your say out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You have been busy with all the "Occupy..." activities and your medical tests -- and a bout with dehydration (nothing to fool around about as you well know.) All I can say is whatever our intentions it's important to know our limits so hope you don't exceed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire you for doing this, Kay. We're donating a little money, but not much is going on here in SLC. I did hear the homeless people in Pioneer Park are PO'ed about the movement being there. We've only been back a few days but we'll be checking it out soon. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.