Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The 2011 Muzzle Awards


Between my surgery and my computer woes, I am woefully late with what is always one of my favorite posts each year: The Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression's annual Muzzle Awards. Around April 13th to celebrate Jefferson's birthday, these awards are given to those persons and entities " who in the past year forgot or disregarded Mr. Jefferson’s admonition that freedom of speech ‘cannot be limited without being lost.’ Amen! The envelope, please! This year's 'honorees' are:

1.The Obama Administration and BP
2.The Transportation Security Administration
3.Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution G. Wayne Clough
4.The Virginia Department of Corrections
5.Mississippi State Court Judge Talmadge Littlejohn
6.Gail Sweet, Director of the Burlington County (New Jersey) Library System
7.The Administration of Albemarle High School (Virginia)
8.The Administration of Hamilton College (New York)

I'm not going to comment on all of them but I urge y'all to go here and check out their offenses against free speech. From President Obama to a Glen Beck supporter, violators of the First Amendment abound.

My personal favorite was #2 the young man who was flying from Richmomd, VA to Cincinnati, OH (not even an hour flight) about the time the TSA introduced the horrible new scanners and searches. This enterprising young fellow had written the 4th Amendment (illegal search and seizure) on his chest in protest and took of his shirt and sweats in protest. So what did the TSA do? They arrested him and tried to prosecute him for disorderly conduct. Fortunately, the prosecutor in that county is sane and dropped the charges which could have meant prison and a nasty fine.

The TJ Center does great work and I always enjoy them. Hope y'all do, too!

Happy Blogging!!!!

Kay

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link and I agree about # 2 being the best - and most absurd - of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, these are awesome; with a national election on, striking a similar committee for Canadian actions would probably be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 5 is my favorite since it is such a Fascist thing to do, not that some of the rest aren't but this one struck me as being such a Nazi Germany kind of thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie: I knew you would enjoy it!


    Lorna: I've been featuring the Nuzzles for years now. I predict that next year they will be inundated with nominees!!!!!!

    Colleen: Yes it does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kay. I always feel enlightened after you post this. I'm so darned apolitical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most Americans are strong defenders of Free Speech... that is, IF it is speech they agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for focusing attention on the need to protect this precious right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, mam, I sure will go check them all out as soon as I get home again. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is one for you: What President said:: "I have only two regrets: I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun."

    Hint: A first rate dueler

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fran: You're welcome! I'd like to be apolitical but in today's climate, I think we have to pay attention -- nefarious forces are at work to take away our rights.

    Kay: I think it's really the most important right we have -- although I wish we could make the Tea Party shut the hell up. :)

    Maggie: I hope you find them as interesting as I always do.

    Joe: Andrew Jackson aka Old Hickory!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.