It's Saturday afternoon and I'm finally sitting down for a bit -- but not too long --and hope I can get y'all caught up on what's been happening in Kay's Wonderful World. The week has been incredibly busy and incredibly surprising.
* The week began with little or no sleep trying to meet the unreasonable demands of the federal program that I've been associated with for the last five years. I was ready to snap from the pressure and angry enough to try to do something about it or just do my best off-key Johnny Paycheck imitation and tell them to "Take this job and . . ." I tried the former and was assured that they would/could help. We'll see.
* On Wednesday, my cell phone rang while I was at the center and I didn't answer because I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number. The same number rang a few minutes later and I decided I'd answer because something in my brain said I should. It was the U.S. Census Bureau calling to tell me that I had been hired and would start the next day at 8 AM for orientation! The nice gentleman who called told me what I needed to bring, wear, etc. and questioned me about my background in Spanish so I assumed that was the reason I got hired. Thankfully, Jeff was in the office and I could tell him what was happening personally although on the fly because he had been in meetings all day and was off and running. I am going to miss him and the rest of the staff and hopefully, once I get my schedule sorted out, I will be able to give him some volunteer time. And, oh yeah, I called the program and told them to color me gone. They were all excited and I was good and didn't tell them how I really felt.
* Thursday morning, I was up bright and early to yet another blizzard and Miss Ruby crawled downtown safely on the treacherous roads. Our day began with orientation and filling out the ubiquitous paperwork and learning a lot I didn't know about the Census and it's history and the respect for privacy they maintain. I learned that I would be working in Technology which confused me greatly but I went with the flow knowing that I would be learning new things. Cool!!! Everyone I met was very nice and from the Director on down. Although it probably shouldn't have surprised me, most of my co-workers are elders including the managers.
* Thursday evening I went to a "do" at my friend Deloris' place where I spent a delightful evening with friends. The bonus was that I discovered that we have a lot of mutual friends so it was nice to see some people I hadn't seen in eons as well as meeting a lot of new and interesting people. Cool, huh?
* Friday was another new day of learning and I went home exhausted and slept a lot. I think that it's going to require some time to adjust as I'm not used to working forty hours a week.
This morning I was at Lynda's gallery to help with the new exhibits. Tonight is symphony night and I have to go and shovel my sidewalk so as not ruin my evening shoes. The new young lawyer who worked with me at the Hispanic Center and his wife are joining me for the concert and dinner afterward at a favorite restaurant. It will be a very nice evening.
I hope y'all have had a great week and, hopefully, tomorrow I will manage to get around and visit y'all!!!!!! I have missed y'all greatly!!!!