Saturday, June 21, 2008

Random Saturday Thoughts on the Week

It's Saturday and a bit grey. It's rained a lot this week which has been good for my newly planted flowers but not good for my mood. It's been a busy, busy week and looks to be a busy weekend, too -- and that's not counting all the projects rattling around in my alleged brain that just might get done!

* It's been awfully cold for June and I've been contemplating giving Al Gore a jingle to ask him where all the global warming he promised us is. A friend who keeps up on this stuff told me that the Earth's temperature has actually cooled two degrees over the past few years. I was listening to Dennis Miller the other day on the radio and a lady called in and said, "It's June 18th, I'm driving my mail truck and I have the heater on -- global warming isn't happening in Michigan!" I sympathized completely with her comment.

* We had a going away party last night for Leo, who works for our agency and is a very talented graphic designer, is returning to his native Argentina with his darling daughter, Zoah. He has been a wonderful friend and mentor to me in my work and little Zoah, 3, is my little buddy and playmate. I shall miss them greatly. Why do the people one likes go away and the nuisances hang around forever?

* "How I Got to Be Me" is on hold. I'm having trouble with the segue into the next debacle and there are requests for more stuff on the stroke. I waffling I know -- please bear with me. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, let me know.

* It's been a good week for videos and the Man sent this one that left me outraged. I think I like Texas Congressman Ted Poe. He actually makes sense! I hate those damned CFL light bulbs -- they give off crappy light and I prefer Tom Edison's model for reading.



* Alice over at My Wintersong has obviously been finding videos fun, too! She featured two hysterical ones recently that left me roaring with laughter! Check 'em out
here and here. And look around her blog -- it's always a treat!

* Another blues festival is taking place downtown this weekend! Marcia called and said, "Be there or be square!!!" I'll be there today. We're going to try to have lunch next week because we've both been so buried, we haven't celebrated our birthdays yet! We did agree, however, that the nice part of being old is that it doesn't matter so much when you celebrate your birthday as that you do.

* Question: Is it just me who thinks parents have stopped parenting? The Gloucester, Mass. story about the teens who made a
"pregnancy pact" tells me that certain values have not been taught at home. Call me old-fashioned -- and my kids did -- but I still think parents are where the buck stops. The pregnancy rate among teens is appalling which tells me that sex education is not working.

* I don't care what you think about the war in Iraq. This touching and beautiful video really gives food for thought about the men and women who are there. Even if you don't support the war, these are our sons and daughters laying their lives on the line and they deserve our support.



* From my recurring themes department: Are y'all as tired of Election 2008 as I am? From where I sit the upcoming conventions are going to be a huge yawwwwwwwwwwwnnnn. And yes, I still want to vote "NO!" for president.

Happy Blogging!!!!!!!!!!

Kay


2 comments:

  1. Global warming is alive and well in NC! We have already had many days of 90 to 100+ temps in late May and June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone gave me one of those bulbs. After hearng what Ted Poe had to say about them, I'm not going to use it.

    Now, how do I get rid of it!!? I think I'll give it back to the person who gave it to me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.