Sunday, February 26, 2006

Kay's World: Small Miracles

As I've aged and faced the trials & tribulations of my life, something I've truly come to appreciate are small miracles. Today I had two of them. You may not think them miracles as your standards for miracles, gentle blogger, may be higher than mine. I walk a rocky road and try to appreciate the smooth spots where I find them.

I woke up today feeling a bit sluggish and rose to have my first cup of coffee to jump start my blood for the day ahead. I had a lot of laundry to do so I went to get dressed after reading my e-mail. While I was searching for my favorite slippers (which I never did find), I found an earring that had been missing for weeks. I swear to God I had looked in that exact spot at least a dozen times, but to no avail and there it was twinkling at me this morning. I had all but given up on ever finding it. I tend to get hyper about such things because I haven't many earrings and they are one of my few luxuries as I only wear 14 carat gold earrings. I was told when I got my ears pierced that I'd be less prone to infections if I wore them. Replacing them puts a strain on my very tight budget so losing them is a minor tragedy.

I then began the task of facing the mountain of laundry I'd amassed and hauled the first load from my third floor apartment to the laundry room in the basement. My building is safe and I have nice, quiet neighbors so going back upstairs while the washer ran is not a problem. My mission then was to find my college diploma which I hadn't seen since I moved here seven years ago. I was asked to send it with my resume to a prospective employer so it was a Top Priority mission. I put on my Thinking Cap and determined that it should be in one of the two boxes stacked in the corner of my dining room but as we all know life isn't always that simple and I was having visions of spending the entire day tearing my apartment apart. I opened the first box and there was a lot of paperwork but nothing of significance so I was a bit trepidant as I opened the second box. (I'm really not that pessimistic -- just used to how my luck runs.) In a rare display of organization in my mostly chaotic life, I'd set this box up as a file and started thumbing through the folders when I noticed one toward the back in a burgundy hue. I grabbed it and, lo and behold, there was my diploma! Mission accomplished in nearly record time and no hassle and a second small miracle! The memories it invoked were a lovely bonus as I really loved my years at Walsh as a non-traditional student.

Small miracles, for me, are hope. They keep me going & remind me that while life isn't always easy, the blessings are there to be cherished as they appear, however small. Sometimes we get so caught up in the big things, like unemployment or illness, we ignore the small stuff that makes our days and lives brighter.

And, oh yeah, it isn't a perfect day. The damn dryer in the laundry room isn't working properly. Oh well. I guess two small miracles today is plenty. Besides, today I met Mary Ann, a very nice lady who blogs at Five Wells who is "building her own Eden, one weed at a time." I like that a lot and can identify with it. I'm adding her to my links because I really like her blog a lot. She is bright, articulate and fun and shares my love of the fine arts. Check it out.

Two small miracles and a new friend? It doesn't get much better than that! Now if I could only win the lottery. Buying a ticket might help.

Happy Blogging!!!!!!!


Kay

3 comments:

  1. Laughing, sympathetically. At least it wasn't the washer that was broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay,

    First time visiting your blog...I like it. I think small miracles are just what we ALL need to keep us going on a daily basis. I know I'm grateful for any that come my way. Sounds like it was a pretty good day to me...and a new blogging friend to boot...CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mary Ann and Joy! I really appreciate both your comments! I'm glad I published my thoughts on this because I met Joy and hopefully she is another new friend! Isn't the blogosphere grand? Hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.