Christmas is over and I've had/have a lot to think about as 2008 approaches.
* Christmas, as it has been for quite some time, was difficult. It makes me cranky that I don't really enjoy it much anymore. However, that doesn't give me permission to take it out on y'all. I am truly sorry for my unattractive, whiny vents on Wednesday and Thursday. I try to hold myself to a higher standard than that. Thanks to my good buddy Xtreme English for her no-holds-barred reality check! And thanks to all y'all for your support.
* Christmas Day was nice. Volunteering was, as always, gratifying and it's always a pleasure seeing how many are willing to come out on the holiest day of the year to help those less fortunate. A few of my cronies came by for Kay's Killer Eggnog and snacks and general insanity. Godaughter Emily and little Matt, age two, were here to deliver and collect gifts. He liked his toys but as usual he played with my chess set mostly. We all are wondering if we have a prodigy on our hands. I think it means that Auntie Kay had best dust off her rusty chess skills so in another years or so she can teach him to play.
* My son still hasn't returned my call. I am not going to call him. What I am going to do is do some heavy thinking about who I want to handle my affairs when I can't any longer. I had thought my children would be best for that but re-thinking is in order. People who won't return calls are not good candidates to count on for assistance whether I'm dead or alive. I have a smallish life insurance policy that is (hopefully) enough to cover a small, not too fancy funeral. Currently my son is the beneficiary and has instructions but I'm going to change that. Can you blame me?
* I actually had a date of sorts last night. A gentleman, who I went out once or twice with before The Man intervened, called and asked me out. I agreed to meet him for a drink. He is nice enough but boring which I had forgotten. It hit me that I was in one of last places I wanted to be so I made my excuses and took myself out for a steak dinner at the pub that is our local answer to Cheers and hung out with old friends -- infinitely more interesting and more fun. Hanging out with friends beats the hell out of dating I've decided -- it lasts longer and is simpler than dating.
* I gave up New Year's resolutions years ago but this year I feel compelled to make some. After a less than stellar year in most ways, I think I have to take a step back and decide how I'm going to spend the rest of my life -- however long it lasts. I'm working on the list.
* Are y'all like me? Do you get ideas for blogs and not write them down and then kick yourself 'cause you can't remember what you wanted to write about? I am implementing a new practice. If I get an idea while I'm doing something else around here, I pull up my dashboard for a new post, add a sentence or link about it and save it as a draft. I think it will help a lot.
* The queue for The Friday Groaner is nearly empty. Contributions are required if y'all want to continue the insanity.
* Tomorrow's blog will have a suggestion on how to zap our Congress Critters re: the Thought Crimes Bill (HR:1955 and S.1959) and I hope y'all will join me in my effort. It's just an idea I had that might bring a bit more attention to it.