Friday, October 06, 2006

A Blast from the Past

The Man sent this link a while back and it's really sort of fun if one is into nostalgia (and I am)! I hope you have fun with it, too!

It's hard to believe I was a mere 6 years old when Bill Haley and the Comets burst upon the music scene with "Rock around the Clock" and that MTV has been around for 25 years! And at 14, I knew the lyrics to the wonderful songs from West Side Story and cried for a heart-broken Natalie Wood as Maria in that modern version of Romeo and Juliet.

Not all the memories this site evokes are pleasant although learning that I'm 15 years 7 months younger than Barbara Walters gave me a chuckle and I'm a mere 1 year 1 month older than Stevie Nicks. Has she really been around that long?

I think all of us of a certain age remember where we were when John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I was "Sweet 16 and never been kissed" (Really!) and in Algebra II class when the announcement came over the PA system. My teacher, Mr. Smith, went to his desk, sat down, and cried which was really rather weird because male teachers didn't cry in those days and I think it had a huge affect on all of us. The halls were spookily quiet instead of raucous and rowdy as we changed classes and the usual political arguments in American history class between my best friend and I didn't happen and our class clowns were uncharacteristically sober. No one cheered when it was announced that we wouldn't have school for a couple days. It was surreal. The quiet was deafening and I think we all grew up a little that day. I'm wondering if 9/11 affected any of today's young people that way.

Hope y'all enjoy this blast from the past!

Happy Blogging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!!! If you wish to post as Anonymous, please leave a name in your comment otherwise your comment will not appear.